FPTP vs MMP

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 6 17:22:24 UTC 2007

The issues that I have with MMP:
1) It gives far too much power to one-note parties, especially those pushing a
radical platform, as the more "generalist" parties struggle to assemble a
coalition.
2)  MMP governments around the world tend to be quite unstable.  Italy's
average government was running at less than a year in length.
3)  MMP presumes that there are no independents running ever.  We've had
independent MPP's and MP's, but how do you allocate seats to The Independent
Party, when it really doesn't exist?  Do you appoint members of the Rhino
Party as an alternative?

--
there's no place like 127.0.0.1