FPTP vs MMP

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 6 16:11:34 UTC 2007

Christopher Browne wrote:
> I'd tend to expect MMP to give fringe parties appalling amounts of
> power/control, as majority governments would be replaced by a need to
> build coalitions where the last little bits to head in would get power
> out of proportion to their representation.  That's the sort of thing
> that has happened in places like Italy and Israel...
My concern runs is that an unpopular governing party could remain in
power by vastly increasing it's plurality in its traditionally 'safe'
seats. eg. the Liberals in Toronto and London; the NDP in areas with
large numbers of organized labour like Windsor, Sudbury and Oshawa; and
the Conservatives in the 905 area; -- could all get out the vote in
order to offset their performance at the polls in areas where they are
distinctly unpopular.