OT: Email Legal Disclaimers

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 6 00:30:05 UTC 2007

On October 5, 2007 04:01:56 pm James Knott wrote:
> Kareem Shehata wrote:
> > So I have to ask, do these legal disclaimers on email actually have
> > any value?  I've seen so many companies *insist* that they be on
> > every single email, but I've never heard of them actually being
> > used anywhere for anything.  So far as I can tell it's just more
> > brainwashing from lawyers.
>
> My understanding is that since you've got no way to read that
> disclaimer, before reading the message, they're nonsense, just as the
> "shrink wrap" licenses, that claim you're bound by them as soon as
> you open the shrink wrap, even though you cannot read the license
> before opening the package.

But since someone spent time and likely created a unique message,
copyright applies. And redistributing someone's copyrighted work
without their consent is a clear breach of copyright. No disclaimer
needed since every author retains copyright on their works by default
(at least here in Canada).

Of course a company may put a section in a contract assigning all
copyright of your work to them--and they can read all your email
anyways :(

Jamon