starcraft

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 5 18:23:36 UTC 2007

On 10/5/07, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>        Specs Group :: General
>        Display Type        Display / CRT
>        Width        16.1 in
>        Depth        16 in
>        Height        17.3 in
>        Weight        39 lbs
>        Enclosure Color        White
>        Specs Group :: Display
>        Diagonal Size        17"
>        Viewable Size        16"
>        Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch        0.25 mm
>        Max Resolution        1280 x 1024 / 60 Hz
>        Max Sync Rate (V x H)        120 Hz x 70 kHz
>        Factory Preset Resolution Modes
>
> 640 x 480 / 85 Hz
>  800 x 600 / 85 Hz
>  1024 x 768 / 85 Hz
>  1280 x 1024 / 60 Hz
>  <snip>

Hmmmm it's possible that for whatever reason the refresh rate it's
attempting for the low 8-bit resolutions is (ironically) out of the
range of what the monitor can do.  Here's what we can try in order to
manually remedy the problem (hopefully).

First, save a backup copy of your current xorg.conf, just in case I'm
totally off base.

In your xorg.conf file, find the "Monitor" section.  Put in the
modeline from the example below.  It's a bit of magic in terms of what
the numbers mean, but it's basically running 640x480 at 60hz which is
something most monitors should be able to do.  This is a lower refresh
than the 85 in the spec sheet you put above.  But it could be that for
whatever reason that's giving you sync problems.  I got that magic
modeline using a web utility:
http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl

If you see any other modeline settings, delete them.  We want to
isolate the problem.

The next thing we want to add is a command to make X ignore the DDC
value.  The DDC is basically a "capabilities" advertisement that the
monitor tells X so that X has a set of "good" resolutions it can pick
from that are appropriate. We want to ignore the monitor's advertised
resolutions.

Section "Monitor"
    .... blah blah blah ....
   Modeline "640x480 at 60"       24.11   640  672  760  792    480  490  495  505
   Option "DDC" "false"
EndSection

Then in the Screen section, pick this 640x480 mode.

Section "Screen"
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes "640x480 at 60"
    EndSubSection