Most expensive 24 songs ever

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 5 10:53:31 UTC 2007

> http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003926501_download
> er05.html
>
> <snip>
> The recording industry Thursday won the largest judgment so far against
> consumers who illegally download music over the Internet when a federal jury
> ordered a 30-year-old Minnesota woman to pay $222,000 for copyright
> infringement.
> </snip>
>
> Basically a 30 year old single mother is now bankrupt because she downloaded
> 24 songs on Kazaa. Wow. When things like this happen it just makes me want
> to go out and buy a WHOLE BUNCH of CDs.

I think that is the main point. Later in the article, it appears that every
industry insider (anonymous sources, though) the reporter writes about say that
the music industry is defeating their own object by choosing litigation. They
haven't even decided if they will proceed with collections. And, I am sure she
is not one of the internet-addicted multiposters they really wanted to nab. Why
the choice of this woman? I also wonder if there was any evidence that someone
else used her computer to download tunes. The article didn't seem clear.