starcraft

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 4 16:07:25 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:51:15AM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> [chris at p733 ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> # Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config
>>
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>>        Identifier     "Default Layout"
>>        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>>        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>>        Driver      "kbd"
>>        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>>        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Device"
>>        Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>        Driver      "i810"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>        Identifier "Screen0"
>>        Device     "Videocard0"
>>        DefaultDepth     24
>>        SubSection "Display"
>>                Viewport   0 0
>>                Depth     24
>>        EndSubSection
>> EndSection
>>

> Try changing the last section to:
>
> Section "Screen"
>        Identifier "Screen0"
>        Device     "Videocard0"
>        DefaultDepth     24
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     24
>        EndSubSection
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     16
>        EndSubSection
>        SubSection "Display"
>                Viewport   0 0
>                Depth     8
>        EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> That should I believe then allow X to swithc to 8 or 16 bit colour mode
> if an application requests it.
>
> 1, 4 and 15 bit depth aren't used very often but if you want to be
> really complete add those too.

okay I added those lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and did a reboot (since I
can't remember the command to get the new settings to stick). In vmware
I'm still getting

Unable to turn on direct graphics.
Your guest's depth (8) doesn't match your host's (24).  Fullscreen may
have failed because your XF86Config file lacks modes for depth 8.
Either add the modes to XF86Config, or switch your guest's depth to
match your host's to enable fullscreen mode.
Failed to switch to full screen SVGA mode.

What is the command in linux to get the new /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings
to stick?

/sbin/service resolution restart [?]

(I doubt it)

Chris