Cross-Platform Backup Software

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 3 19:56:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 03:32:21PM -0400, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> Very good point about the filesystem.  I'd like the drive and backup system
> as a whole to be readable on any system, which creates a few problems.  With
> a 500GB drive, FAT32 is out of the question, and both NTFS and EXT2 limit
> the options in terms of what systems can read them.  Is there a better
> solution, or just use EXT2 and worst-case use a Live CD to read it?

What is wrong with FAT32 on a 500GB drive?  I think it has a 4GB file
size limit that can be annoying but other than that there is no reason
it can't work.  Sure you can't format it that way using windows but that
is a stupid artificial limitation imposed by microsoft for no good
reason.  Windows has no issue using a larger than 32GB FAT32 if you
somehow manage to make one (mkdosfs -F 32 does just fine).

--
Len Sorensen