starcraft

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 3 18:17:38 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 05:47:18PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> Ooops, not so fast. During the W98SE install it didn't see my CD drive
>> so I had vmware point to an image file to do the installation from. So,
>> now my "CD drive" in the vm is really an image. How do I get vmware to
>> see my (real) CD drive (so I can install Starcraft among other things)?
>>

> Click the devices menu (I think that is what it is called) and select to
> edit the cdrom drive, then change it from being an image file to
> pointing at your real cdrom device (whichever that is on your system,
> usually either /dev/hda or hdc or scd0 or sr0).

Okay, I used Nautilus to look in the /dev directory. /dev/cdrom never
worked so I tried the next one, /dev/cdrom-sr0 and it worked! My
confusion was that the cdrom drive is not in fstab, and a new name is
made up every time I put a cd in (I'm talking the linux host now) -
/media/STARCRAFT for example. So, how does the cd get mounted if it's
not in fstab?

I installed Starcraft and the online version is working - I don't know
how /well/ yet - my son can try it after school. I phoned the Timmins EB
store and they actually had a copy - so I'm gonna learn this thing and
play against my son.

Thanks again, guys.

Chris