starcraft

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 2 19:46:45 UTC 2007

On 10/2/07, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> AMD pcnet32
>
> Maybe I should phone my isp and pretend I'm just configuring a regular
> Windows box to connect to the Internet. It's been a while.

Hi Chris,

I just finished installing Windows98 inside my VMWare.  After
installing VMWare tools, the Ethernet auto-installed itself.  The
Ethernet driver used is the AMD PCNet32 PCI that comes on the original
Windows98 CDROM.  However, looking inside the "System devices" tree, I
see that VMWare properly uses many of the PCI bridge drivers specific
to my processor family (Intel).  I suspect that you won't get your NIC
to work until you install the proper PCI and system bus drivers.  If
you have an Intel-based machine, this should work out of the box.  If
you have an AMD machine, the lack of PCI support may be the true
culprit preventing proper NIC install.

-Jing