Learning to Program

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 2 15:42:40 UTC 2007

Kevin Morris wrote:
> You are a self-taught programmer, so how did you get your first programming gig? as I am finding that most jobs require a minimum of 1-2 years experience. Any suggestions!

The part about being passionate about your art, and like artists,
building your portfolio can not be emphasized enough.

For me, I was in a lucky position. I got started in computers as a
sysadmin and on-site support tech. For many years, once a computer,
server or network was working, I had no idea what to do after.

About four years ago, on my job as a sysadmin/support tech, my boss
allowed me to try my hand at writing a backup program in my downtime
(knowing I was a beginner). So over the next few years I busted my arse
(read; worked at home on the project off hours a *lot*) trying to get
the program working. It was perfect for me as it tied into my existing
knowledge of servers, so I had something to go by.

So then; what skills do you have? What is your job? If it's a job that
has downtime, pick a project and work on it whenever you have free time.
I've always though that people who want to be (self-taught) programmers
would be perfect for jobs like being a security guard where there is a
*lot* of downtime.

Other than that, program in your free time. Honestly think of it like an
art; and like an art you need a portfolio. Start with a "colour in the
lines" type program and build on it.

Trust me; my original backup program embarrasses the heck out of me...
Certainly terrible to show off as a portfolio piece, but it is where I
started. :)

I don't know if this will help you at all, but it's the advice I can
give. :)

Be persistent and don't let yourself be discouraged easily.

Best of luck!

Madi