Encrypted IRC service

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 1 14:54:23 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2007 at 03:13:29PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> >On 9/30/07, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >> Is it possible to run an IRC server that can encrypt client/server
> >> traffic?  Which IRC servers and clients support encryption?
> >
> >The Jabber protocol is designed for this, although it's intended more
> >for instant-messaging-like systems, as opposed to the more
> >broadcast-like behaviour of IRC.
>
> I don't have any experience with IRR.  Perhaps it is not right for me.
> My requirements are the ability to collaborate with remote colleagues
> using text, in near real time, and is encrypted for privacy.

If that's the case, then Jabber sounds like it is *exactly* what the
doctor ordered.

- You get to control the server (not Google/Yahoo/MSFT)
- Data can be transmitted encrypted

There may be more to things to have "secure against CSIS/CSE/NSA/...",
but Jabber should resist usual attacks...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)