starcraft

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Oct 1 13:00:08 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 09:29:17PM -0400, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I'm trying to get on the Internet in the W98SE guest. It's not
> recognizing the PCI controller. WHich is, I guess why it's not finding
> the correct NIC, which means I can't get onto the Internet to try
> Starcraft n Battle.Net, which is the whole point of all of this. I don't
> know why the guest won't just use the perfectly- working NIC in the
> linux host.
>
> I used to have a Hardware Browser in fedora 7. It's gone. I remember
> when I did the clean install I had too many panels and panel sub-menus.
> I found a way to consolidate them but I guess, in retrospect, I /did/
> lose a couple of things. One of them was the Hardware Browser. I'm
> hoping to go in there, find the PCI controller, then tell W98SE guest
> that that is the controller (and grab the driver from the Internet if
> neccesary).

Did you configure vmware to use bridged networking, or NAT or host only?
Host only won't work for this.  bridged is great if you have a router on
the network that could give you an ip by dhcp.  NAT is good if you use
the host as the internet gateway and want vmware hidden behind it.

As for win98, make sure it has the pcnet32 ethernet driver installed.  I
would think it came with it, but I am not sure.  If not you should be
able to install the vmware utilities insude win98 (it should be nagging
you about it if you haven't already) which probably include the network
drivers.

--
Len Sorensen