Rogers and IP addresses

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 28 12:52:24 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:43:21AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote

> So near the peer1 or the cogent link? :)
>
> I also just noticed teksavvy says the cogent unlimited link is going up
> to $39.95 from $29.95, but it also appears the peer1 link has gone from
> 100GB to 200GB per month and is not going up in price.

  I selected the "premium" peer1 link for $29.95/month.  One of my many
problems with Cybersurf was that one of their routers would sometimes drop
packets like crazy.  A webpage taking a couple of extra seconds to load
is one thing.  But when an "internet radio" stream breaks up constantly,
I get upset, especially since I'm a paying subscriber of Live365.  This
wasn't just happening with 96 and 64 kbit streams.  It was also
happening with 48, 32, 24, and 16 kbit audio streams.  What's *REALLY*
sad is that I can get solid "reception" on my *DIALUP* account (295.ca)
on 16 and 24 kbit streams that break up and stutter on Cybersurf
"broadband".

  Since I want to guarantee (as much as is possible) good streaming
audio reception, I chose the "premium" link, which also happens to be
$10/month cheaper than the regular, unlimited version, with less
reliable internet connectivity.  And like I told the CSR at Teksavvy, if
I ever use 200 gigs in a month, I'll reformat my drive and re-install
linux, on the assumption that my machine has been 0wn3d by the "Russian
Business Network".  I don't do P2P, when I can listen to the music I
like, instead.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?