Security considerations for EEE PC

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 26 14:21:49 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 07:42:16AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Monday 26 November 2007 00:40:58 Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> > http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3687
>
> Yup, also concerning for me is that there don't seem to be a lot of updates
> offered.
>
> Samba 3.0.24 has some rather serious security issues, 3.0.25 came out 6 months
> ago and additional updates have come out since.  They may be backporting
> patches but I should still have seen an update within the past week I would
> have hoped.  I expect there are other updates not in there samba just jumped
> out at me because of it's recent history.

I don't know about Xandros, but many disributions (like Debian) will fix
a security problem but not move to a newer version of a package, since
they want the security fix but not the new bugs.  So just because samba
3.0.24 has a security bug, doesn't mean you can't have a 3.0.24 that
does not have that security bug anymore.

> Offering a simple firewall configuration GUI would have been a helpful option
> as well ... I don't recall seeing one.
>
> On the plus side the device is completely open so there are no hacks needed to
> blast your own OS onto it.  I just don't feel like losing their interface (I
> don't use it but it's interesting for people to whom I show the device).

You can't have everything.  Or maybe you can move that UI to whatever OS
you decide to use.  I know there are people documenting how to install
Debian or Ubuntu on the EEE.

--
Len Sorensen