what in lieu of neat?

Brandon Sandrowicz bsandrow-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 25 13:01:57 UTC 2007

On 11/22/07, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to configure another (local network) ip address for a NIC on an
> ubuntu computer. I've never done this on the debian side of things. The
> program 'neat' is what I used in the redhat side of things. I know all the
> numbers to punch in - I just need the utility to do it. I tried
> system-config-network but that did nothing. The card works of course as I am
> on the Internet. I just need to make a local interface.
>
> Chris

There should be a network icon in the 'system tray' (or icon tray or
whatever).  If you right click on that and select manual configuration
you should see all of the network devices on your computer.  Just
select the NIC that you want to set up and enter the information.
This configures the thing through NetworkManager, which goes through
DBus and HAL, IIRC.  It does not work w/ the /etc/interfaces files so
far as I know.  If you leave any of the interfaces in "Roaming Mode"
(I'm not at my laptop so I don't know offhand it that's the name for
it) it will just go for whatever it can find (DHCP when you plug it in
or whatever.)

If the icon isn't in the system tray, you can hit Alt+F2, then type
nm-applet and hit <enter>.  That will startup the NetworkManager
Applet.  But it was already there by default on my fresh install of
Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) for PowerPC.

IIRC, NetworkManager is the converging default for managing the
network interfaces (wireless cards, ethernet, modems, etc) in GNOME.
I think that KDE is working on using it too.
--
Brandon