re-thinking LUGs and early planning for the first Canadian LUG summit

Interlug Lists interluglists-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 23 21:43:10 UTC 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 3:13 PM, David J Patrick <djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think if we linux enthusiasts asked each other, we'd find a consensus that
> potential synergies between LUGs in Canada, Ontario and Toronto have
> not been realized to any appreciable degree.

[ ... ]

> I would like to see;
> A two-stage inter-LUG summit;
>
> Stage 1) very early in the new year, calling a Greater Toronto Area
> Inter-LUG meeting,

[ ... ]

> Stage 2) a couple of months later, the first Canadian InterLUG Summit.

I think that there is a lot to learn from other LUGs.  I know that a
large portion of LUG-attendees just don't care about how their LUG is
organized as long as it is /sufficiently organized/.  So the subject
matter may self-limit interest to one or two people per LUG.
Nationally, that can add up.

Coincidentally, the topic of "degree of difficulty" came up on two LUG
mailing lists recently.  Both the Hamilton and Tillsonberg LUGs were
asking themselves if they should have meetings that are alternately
for "beginner" and "advanced" presentations.  This is a topic that has
been raised at other LUGs as well, perhaps at all LUGs.  It seems a
natural question to ask.  Organizers of new LUGs and new organizers of
existing LUGs should be able to draw on the existing experience when
addressing these familiar questions.

LUGs can also cooperate by sharing presenters and presentations.
KWLUG has been fortunate enough to trick, er, "invite" presentations
from several nearby LUGs.  And some KWLUG-ers have presented at other
LUGs during their travels.  A well-crafted presentation can take a lot
of time and energy to create; the speaker should have more than one
opportunity to hear applause for each work.

I attended a BoF for LUG organizers at Ohio Linux Fest in 2004(or
2005?) and really enjoyed it.  We can certainly add a LUG-BoF to
Ontario Linuxfest for 2008.  The LUG-summit may benefit by "sharing a
trip" for Linuxfest, and vice-versa.  That's no reason to wait to
start working together.  David, will you set up a mailing list and
IRC?