OO 2.0 .odt is zip?

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 23 18:31:15 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

<snip>
> Usually when OpenOffice is installed, in creates the appropriate configs
> within GNOME and KDE so that when you double-click on .odt, .ods, .odp
> etc files OpenOffice is launched to open them.

Yes, that is my experience on the three other computers in the house.
> However, if that doesn't happen, they may be indeed be seen as zip
> files. They are indeed zipped sets of XML files, DTDs, graphics and
> whatever else is needed to build the documents. Your system may see them
> as zipped files because their internal data stucture matches that of a
> zip  file -- specifically, the first four bytes are "P", "K", 0x3, 0x4.
> (For more info on how Unix/Linux systems determine file types, see "man
> magic".)
>
> I don' t know how GNOME does things, but in KDE there is an explicit
> configuration in which file types are associated with applications, in
> some cases multiple applications (for instance an HTML file can be
> opened with a browser, a specialized HTML editor, or a regular text
> editor). If you right-click an ODT file and select "properties", there
> should be a small wrench icon that you can click to change the
> application(s) associated with this file type (as well as its icon).

Okay, that's a work-around that seems to be working now. So the 'ZIP
Archive' files are now being opened by OO. However, I now have two types
of files (with different icons): one type is 'Type: ZIP Archive', and
the other is 'Type: OpenDocument Text'. I did some more experimenting
and found that 'Save As' had "Automatic File Name Extension' un-checked.
I put a check in that box and now all documents are saving by default as
*.odt with the correct icon. I'll go back into a real ZIP Archive file
and reset the file association so that zipped up tar files (et al.)
don't try to open as .odt's.

Thanks for your help everybody,

Chris

<snip>