mac blue and whites

teddy mills teddymills-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 22 14:00:59 UTC 2007

I dont know why I had so many problems trying to get linux onto some Mac
G3 Blue and Whites.
I think it is because I thought I had to do OpenFirmWare and BootX, boot
from MacOS Classic and all that.
Previously, I had tried Mandrake, Ubuntu, Yellowdog, LinuxPPC (which is
difficult to find now) and about any distro that claimed to boot a Blue
and White. Nothing ever booted from the CD (I held the 'C' while booting
up the MAC at POST and reset the paramerter ram. (CMD-Option-P-R)

Well after installing a Net Install of Debian on a AMD64 yesterday, I
saw all the platforms that debian supported.
So I googled up and found the Debian 4.01r1 Net Install for PowerPC.
Then I found the Ubuntu 7.04 Alternate-PowerPC iso.  Both of these ISOs
boot up the G3 right from the CD! Going to use them as text-only console
servers. I would imagine these should work for some older Macs with G3
processors.