Need a Tutor for gimp

Kamran grandriver-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 22 13:16:06 UTC 2007

Paul King wrote:
>> I need a tutor to teach me in depth about creating and manipulating
>> images with gimp.  I'd take a course locally but they are all on
>> Photoshop.   I've got a free pdf book on the gimp for an old version but
>> I am too lazy to read it.
>
> Photoshop and the Gimp, for their main features, work the same. While their
> interfaces are different, all the stuff regarding font effects and photo
> retouching in photoshop work the same for GIMP. Gimp has some nice effects that
> are more accessible. For example, I like to use the seamless tile feature,
> which is something that takes much more work in Photoshop.
>
> So, I wouldn't have a problem taking a Photoshop course. Most of the "hard"
> stuff you need to learn is conceptual, anyway (using and creating channels,
> working with layers, working with vector graphics and bitmapped graphics,
> graphics formats in general, and so on). Once you have the basic concepts,
> which can apply to any package, you can apply them to the GIMP.

That may be true but most of these courses start in January and I find a
lot of these courses go very slow.  In fact, most IT related courses I
have attempted go way too slow for my liking.  Money isn't the issue,
time is.  I have already tried a course on Flash and it went very slow.
  Some of these courses go on for 3-4 months.

>> I need a person who could write their own book on gimp for version 2.2.x
>> to tutor me.
>
> If I could write my own book, you couldn't afford me. :-)
> Personally, I don't have the time. However, don't let the Photoshop course
> offerings limit you, if you cite that as a problem. I would take them if it
> would at least get you off the ground in understanding graphics and how they
> are generally created.

Really?  There are a heck of a lot of people that are pretty good with
GIMP and Photoshop and as such could probably write decent books on
either of them.  I am not asking to be tutored on modifying the Linux
kernel source.

I think it was a bad idea to post on the TLUG mailing list for this.  Ah
well another book from Amazon.

I can only hope one day GIMP comes with a complete scripting language
where one can manipulate images by writing programs.