OT: Buying an iPod in Toronto: recommendations please

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 23:43:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 04:24:14PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> As I mentioned in another note, the better headphones will only make it
> easier to hear the distortion.  You cannot hear better than what the
> source provides, no matter how good the equipment.  It's physically
> impossible.  MP3's work by removing a lot of the "unnecessary" sounds in
> the original.  With proper listening conditions, you can hear that
> difference.  Once that music has been compressed, the result is already
> more different from the original than any difference good quality
> equipment is likely to reproduce.  If you're talking about CD quality or
> better, then perhaps better phones will help.

No, the better head phones just won't add to the distorsion.  The only
reason you can't hear that the MP3 sounds slightly worse than a CD is
because your crappy headphones already do far more damage to the sound
than the MP3 did.  Good headphones let you hear everyting that is there,
while crappy headphones won't let you hear everything properly so you
simply loose a bunch of the music no matter what you are listening to.

--
Len Sorensen