OT: Buying an iPod in Toronto: recommendations please

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 23:45:44 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:53:24PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
>
>> The audio field is full of "golden ears" types, who claim to hear
>> differences that aren't physically possible.  They don't believe in A-B
>> tests, but can apparently hear one setup in one location and compare it
>> with another at a different location and time.  Then there's those who
>> believe in Monster cables and other wallet lighteners.
>>

> There are things far worse than moster cables for that. :)
>
> http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/11/10-awesome-gadg.html has a few
> examples of such.
>

>> However, there is an audible difference between MP3's and the original
>> CD, that can be heard when using decent equipment in a quiet
>> environment.  My point was considering the source (MP3) is already
>> compromised from the original, how can top quality headphones improve
>> things over good quality?  Both are more than capable of revealing the
>> inadequacies of the MP3 file.  You can't get better sound than the
>> source allows, no matter how good your equipment.
>>

> No 128kbit MP3 is still much beyond what cheap ear buds can reproduce.
> There is plenty to be gained on an mp3 player from a decent set of
> headphones.  If you happen to use them with a CD player instead, well
> even better.

Again, I've never discussed ear buds, beyond dismissing them. My
comments were about good quality headphones vs better quality
headphones. Your audio quality is limited by the MP3 compression and
also whatever quality the audio output is from the player. Decent
quality headphones, not ear buds, are capable of superior quality than
an MP3 can deliver.