OT: Buying an iPod in Toronto: recommendations please

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 23:40:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 04:14:34PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> If listening to a portable player, is there really any point in such a
> setup?  The MP3 will put a limit on sound quality, that you can't get
> around, no matter how good the headphones.

A 128kbit MP3 is still far better than the cheap crap they include with
all MP3 players.  So yes you will get vastly better audio by getting a
set of $50 or $100 headphones even with MP3s.  As I said, mp3s have no
problem producing nice clear bass, they tend to loose a bit in the very
high frequencies, while cheap head phones tend to loose all the bass and
some of the highs.

--
Len Sorensen