OT: Buying an iPod in Toronto: recommendations please

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 20:33:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:15:33PM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
> Jumping from $20 to $120 seems to be a range in which the differences
> are aurally distinct.
>
> From what I hear, the jump from $120 to $300 is also material, but at
> a material change in pricing ;-).
>
> I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a $300 pair of
> headphones and something even more staggeringly expensive.
>
> I'm presently debating whether or not to upgrade from a cheap pair of
> Sony headphones (MDR-V150) to, say, a pair of Grado SR-80 "cans."
> Definitely NOT compact in-the-ear stuff, but I expect that an $80 pair
> of Grado headphones are likely to be better than any of the in-the-ear
> stuff.

Don't dismiss in the ear until you try someting like what Shure makes.
Ear buds suck, but in ear monitor style works very well, if you use the
right sleeve that fits your ear to get a good seal.  You need a good air
seal to get low frequencies, but if you have a decent seal for the air
pressure then a very very small speaker can make immense bass.

Practically everyone that is anywhere near serious in music uses in ear
style head phones on stage to hear the music while singing or playing
(and also to block a lot of the noise so their hearing isn't destroyed I
imagine).

Large can style also take a lot more power to drive, which portable
players often don't have, so then you need an inline amp with it's own
battery to help.  The in ear style on the other hand use even less power
to drive them than ear buds so you get lots of volume at an even lower
setting saving more power on the player.

--
Len Sorensen