OT: Buying an iPod in Toronto: recommendations please

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 19:27:07 UTC 2007

James Knott wrote:
> Considering the source is MP3, how much will a kickin' set of
> headphones improve sound over a decent pair?
Substantially. I'm not sure that "considering the source" is an issue
here; the choice of good headphones -- like good speakers -- has made
substantial difference even in the old days of analog music.

As the only mechanical component of the chain from the music file to
your ears, the choice of headphones will have far more impact on the
sound of the music than the choice of player. In addition, there are
other issues such as noise blocking or cancellation (great on an
airplane, not great when walking or on a bike).

My personal choice is from a company that branched out from making
hearing aids into some of the most accurate, noise-eliminating stuff out
there:

http://www.etymotic.com/

They make a cordless (Bluetooth) earphone set just for the iPod:
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er88.aspx

- Evan