Need a Tutor for gimp

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 11:17:02 UTC 2007

> I need a tutor to teach me in depth about creating and manipulating
> images with gimp.  I'd take a course locally but they are all on
> Photoshop.   I've got a free pdf book on the gimp for an old version but
> I am too lazy to read it.

Photoshop and the Gimp, for their main features, work the same. While their
interfaces are different, all the stuff regarding font effects and photo
retouching in photoshop work the same for GIMP. Gimp has some nice effects that
are more accessible. For example, I like to use the seamless tile feature,
which is something that takes much more work in Photoshop.

So, I wouldn't have a problem taking a Photoshop course. Most of the "hard"
stuff you need to learn is conceptual, anyway (using and creating channels,
working with layers, working with vector graphics and bitmapped graphics,
graphics formats in general, and so on). Once you have the basic concepts,
which can apply to any package, you can apply them to the GIMP.

> I need a person who could write their own book on gimp for version 2.2.x
> to tutor me.

If I could write my own book, you couldn't afford me. :-)
Personally, I don't have the time. However, don't let the Photoshop course
offerings limit you, if you cite that as a problem. I would take them if it
would at least get you off the ground in understanding graphics and how they
are generally created.