no root passwd debian

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 20 06:24:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, James Knott wrote:

> IIRC, with Ubuntu, the first user is a superuser, but not root, that has
> permissions to do admin stuff, including set the root password.

Hi all.  Ubuntu has a root a/c just like any other Linux distro using the
standard security model (ie, excluding SELinux).  Ubuntu just locks
password access to root by default.  Ubuntu users are encouaged to use
sudo for sysadmin tasks.

I set a root password on Ubuntu as a matter of course (especially after
6.06 had a bug in sudo which prevented it from working in a semi-random
fashion).  I still use sudo mostly but actually having a root password can
be very important in a crunch.  I disable password authentication for ssh
for any box that will be accessible from the public Internet.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"