Rogers and IP addresses

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 19 16:03:47 UTC 2007

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| I think most likely it is just that many places sanely consider cable
| modem IPs to be a major source of spam and simply black list them all.

Rogers has blocked outbound TCP traffic to port 25, at least on my
connection for some time (a year or two, I think).  So I doubt that
that is what folks are complaining about now.

At the TLUG meeting, I heard at least one Rogers 99. customer
complaining that HTTPS connections from 99. addresses were refused by
Yahoo something-or-other.  Annoying since Rogers and Yahoo have some
kind of strategic and/or branding relationship.

I have a 99. Rogers connection and have not noticed a problem like
that.  But then I've not used any Yahoo-branded services.

| Send mail through your cable provider's mail server if you use a cable
| modem, or through som other mail server you control.

Rogers mail server won't let customers use "Vanity Domains" as they
call non-rogers domains.  This means that I cannot use it.

My main grievance with Rogers is that they "traffic shape" stuff that
they have no business doing.  They sold me "Extreme" service claiming
great speeds and yet when I wish to get Linux .iso files via torrent,
the download speed is slower than with my crippled ADSL connection.
(My ADSL connection is quite slow because I'm too far from the Bell
Central Office.)  HTTP is quite fast but I like to use bit torrent so
that I'm providing a service rather than just consuming a service.

The internet is a "world of ends" as the famous essay put it.  Rogers
wants to force us to be second class -- consumers, not citizens of the
internet.