Rogers and 99.x.x.x

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 19 14:37:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 05:18:40PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> A note and a warning regarding Rogers high speed
> Internet. The story as far as I have been able to
> piece things together.
>
> Rogers recently got the newly released 99.x.x.x block
> of IP numbers and has started allocating those to
> their customers. This is proving to be a total pain in
> the @#$% for those of who have been unlucky enough to
> get one of said IP numbers (and yes, I got one of
> those numbers last Friday). Seems that in the past a
> number of spammers have used the 99.x.x.x block to
> push the usual spam nonsense... This means a number
> major sites (including ironically, and perversely
> Yahoo (who Rogers is partnered with for e-mail)) are
> blocking traffic from 99.x.x.x IP numbers.

I think I have had a 99.* address for close to a year now, or at least 6
months.  Never had any problems with it.  Of course I don't send email
through it.

> So, this means that to get e-mail I need to take my
> laptop to a spot where I get a usable WiFi signal
> (currently a 45 minute trip from home (yes, I will see
> about something free and closer)). I have found how
> toxic some of the Rogers tech support staff can be
> (they will not support Linux, they don't want to
> support the officially supported Mac OS X 10.4, and
> they want to make it clear any problems are because of
> something I did). I have called Rogers billing
> department who have promised $50 off my next bill for
> my trouble (which. is fair enough for a week without
> e-mail, but, will not be enough if this continues for
> much longer).
>
> So, shifting from Rogers would be a royal pain, but
> the current situation, which may take some time to
> resolve, is also not acceptable. So, I am looking
> around for other options. I have heard some nice
> things said about eicat.ca which has Dave Gilbert (one
> of the Unix Unanimous regulars) involved, so it is
> Linux polite, and very *BSD friendly (which beats
> Linux hostile :-) ). Any other suggestions, as I will
> not take another week of the current situations?
>

> Colin McGregor
>
> P.S. I guess it should be noted that until this past
> week I was basicly fairly happy with Rogers, problems
> were rare, and when they did happen were fairly
> quickly resolved... This past week ... they have been
> the ISP from hell ... :-( .

Well in the case of problems with 99.* addresses the real problem is
actually admins at other sites that don't bother to update their
blacklist when new IP ranges are assigned.  So for once I think it may
actually NOT be rogers fault something isn't working.

--
Len Sorensen