RAM for Ubuntu

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 18 02:38:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, Chris Aitken wrote:

> I'm trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 7.10 on my daughter's computer. It was
> taking forever to go from one screen to the next in the installer. So, while
> I was waiting I started reading the release notes. I see the OS needs minimum
> 384 MB RAM. This computer only has 256. I opened up the box and see both
> slots are occupied. I pulled out one stick of RAM. But before I go to Staples
> to buy another stick or RAM (worth more than the computer?)  is there any way
> I can tell if this motherboard can even support more that 256 MB? Maybe if I
> take the stick of RAM to Staples they'll tell me that in that kind of RAM 128
> MB is the maximum. Or maybe they'll sell me a 256 MB stick and I'll have my
> minimum 384. Anything I can do before I get out my wallet?

Hi Chris.  The "Alternative" Ubuntu cdrom can install in as little as 64MB
(last I checked, but then the standard minimum was 256M last I checked).

Also, if you already have more powerful Linux systems available (say 1GB
ram minimum) your daughter may well get better performance by using the
computer as a thin client.  LTSP (http://www.ltsp.org) is available in
Ubuntu.  Multiple users can use a Linux system simultaneouly just fine.
Thanks to concepts like Shared memory and copy-on-write Linux makes very
efficient use of available memory.  Most users tend run the same
applications (web browser, office apps, mail client, etc) - further
improving reusability of memory.

I often turn low end systems into thin clients to boot performance.  I've
used a thin client on my desk for the last 12 years or so - I do so
because I get better value for money on the systems I own and because I
get _better_ performance in many cases.  I'm typing this from a thin
client right now.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"