RAM for Ubuntu

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 17 19:05:09 UTC 2007

Hi Chris

You will have to check your computer's motherboard to see how much
memory it supports. Secondly, i would recommend going with Xubuntu (a
flavour of Ubuntu) with the light weight Xfce window manager.
According to the website, (http://www.xubuntu.org/get) Xubuntu will
run with a minimum of 128MB RAM.

You can also have a look at edubuntu.org albeit it is targetted
towards the educational sector.

Asaf

On Nov 17, 2007 10:38 AM, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to install Ubuntu Desktop 7.10 on my daughter's computer. It
> was taking forever to go from one screen to the next in the installer.
> So, while I was waiting I started reading the release notes. I see the
> OS needs minimum 384 MB RAM. This computer only has 256. I opened up the
> box and see both slots are occupied. I pulled out one stick of RAM. But
> before I go to Staples to buy another stick or RAM (worth more than the
> computer?)  is there any way I can tell if this motherboard can even
> support more that 256 MB? Maybe if I take the stick of RAM to Staples
> they'll tell me that in that kind of RAM 128 MB is the maximum. Or maybe
> they'll sell me a 256 MB stick and I'll have my minimum 384. Anything I
> can do before I get out my wallet?
>
> Chris

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is
much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that
might be wrong." - Richard P. Feynman