Rogers and 99.x.x.x

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 16 22:18:40 UTC 2007

A note and a warning regarding Rogers high speed
Internet. The story as far as I have been able to
piece things together.

Rogers recently got the newly released 99.x.x.x block
of IP numbers and has started allocating those to
their customers. This is proving to be a total pain in
the @#$% for those of who have been unlucky enough to
get one of said IP numbers (and yes, I got one of
those numbers last Friday). Seems that in the past a
number of spammers have used the 99.x.x.x block to
push the usual spam nonsense... This means a number
major sites (including ironically, and perversely
Yahoo (who Rogers is partnered with for e-mail)) are
blocking traffic from 99.x.x.x IP numbers.

So, this means that to get e-mail I need to take my
laptop to a spot where I get a usable WiFi signal
(currently a 45 minute trip from home (yes, I will see
about something free and closer)). I have found how
toxic some of the Rogers tech support staff can be
(they will not support Linux, they don't want to
support the officially supported Mac OS X 10.4, and
they want to make it clear any problems are because of
something I did). I have called Rogers billing
department who have promised $50 off my next bill for
my trouble (which. is fair enough for a week without
e-mail, but, will not be enough if this continues for
much longer).

So, shifting from Rogers would be a royal pain, but
the current situation, which may take some time to
resolve, is also not acceptable. So, I am looking
around for other options. I have heard some nice
things said about eicat.ca which has Dave Gilbert (one
of the Unix Unanimous regulars) involved, so it is
Linux polite, and very *BSD friendly (which beats
Linux hostile :-) ). Any other suggestions, as I will
not take another week of the current situations?

Colin McGregor

P.S. I guess it should be noted that until this past
week I was basicly fairly happy with Rogers, problems
were rare, and when they did happen were fairly
quickly resolved... This past week ... they have been
the ISP from hell ... :-( .