portrait mode monitor

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 16 15:59:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 04:47:05PM -0500, Interlug Lists wrote:
> I'm messing with my monitor setup.  I've been running dual-head for a
> while and like it.  Now I'm messing with quad-head, and have the
> basics working.  As part of my fooling around with this stuff I'd like
> to get the monitors to work in portrait mode.  That is, with the long
> axis of the monitor vertical.  Mechanically, this s not a problem, but
> I'm not having any luck with the video driver / configuration for
> this.
>
> Any tips on getting portrait mode to work?  Am I limited to specific
> drivers / resolutions / specialty cards / invocations and sacrifices?
>
> My video cards are ATI radeons:
> #0 and #1 agp
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AQ [Radeon 9600]
>
> #2 and #3 pci
>
> 02:06.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100
> QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
>
> Double bonus points to anybody who can point me towards the way to get
> CONSOLE / non GUI mode working in portrait mode as well.  ;-)

If you use a framebuffer driver for the console, then you can in fact
rotate it.

See http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642 for example.

It mentions something about
Kernel boot options video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=794 fbcon=rotate:3

Of course that means using vesa and then running X on the fbdev which
would be quite a bit slower most likely.

How many monitors are you using and what resolution are they and which
ones do you want rotated?

By the looks of things the ati binary drivers don't have rotation
support (among the many others things they don't do either).

--
Len Sorensen