XP/Ubuntu dual-boot

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 16 15:34:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 05:38:44PM -0500, jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org wrote:
> Microsoft designs their operating system installation software to check
> for operating systems from competitors, and will refuse to proceed with
> the installtion process until you authorize it to erase the competitor's
> operating system.

Well that's an outright lie.  It will overwrite the master boot record,
which does NOT erase the other OS.  Of course if you don't have free
space to create a new partition, then you will have to delete the other
partition to install windows which would erase the other OS, but that is
your choice.

> Furthermore, the Windows operating system, or the Windows installation
> software (I am not sure which) will mutilate OS/2 HPFS (High Performance
> File System) so that OS/2 cannot read the data.

Doesn't HPFS and NTFS use the same partition ID?

> Microsoft is intensely competitive.

They just don't care about anyone else.

--
Len Sorensen