iPod Nano

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 15 15:02:58 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> JoeHill wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> You should now be rebuilding libgpod, not gtkpod.
>>
> Okay, it's done.
>> Then, when you have built and installed libgpod, you need to get the
>> firewire ID
>> of the iPod by following the instructions in libgpod/README.sysinfo.
>>
> Okay, I did that:
> [root at p733 /]# ipod-read-sysinfo-extended /dev/sdd1 /media/IPOD
>
> I checked in that I have a
> /media/IPOD/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfoExtended file. I do. SO, I ran
> gtkpod again and nothing has changed. I hit 'Save Changes' (hoping
> that will load the songs from the playlist (I don't know if that is
> what it is called as the gtkpod interface offers no name/title for
> that area (bottom right)). So, to try to wake it up I try adding a
> song (from elsewhere on my computer) with the 'Files' button, I get a
> "waiting for conversion..." (it's an .ogg) message that clears in
> about five minutes (which greys out functions in the gtkpod
> interface), then the mesage clears (and the greyed-out functions are
> cleared as well), leaving what seems to be stalled output in a terminal:
>
> [chris at p733 libgpod]$ gtkpod
> /home/chris/.gtkpod/conversion_cache/Mashed Potato Face/the
> Rain_03-0x95d2240-0.mp3
>
> Just stalled (I mean the prompt never returns) - I'm going to leave
> everything alone for a while now to see if the prompt ever returns.
Now I don't know think it was "stalled" - I started gtkpod from a
terminal, so gtkpod won't release that terminal (and give me a shell
prompt (if that's what it's called)) until I quit gtkpod. Another reason
I don't think the .ogg conversion stalled is that I found a conversion
output display in the gtkpod interface and it showed that the conversion
was at 100% (which I assume means it completed).

Chris