XP/Ubuntu dual-boot

David Payne david-KgjyJOZJJiMsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 14 15:43:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 06:18:53PM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> > Microsoft designs their operating system installation software to check
> > for operating systems from competitors, and will refuse to proceed with
> > the installtion process until you authorize it to erase the competitor's
> > operating system.
>

> Your kidding right? The only problem i've ever had with installing
> Microsoft second was  it erasing over my bootloader,
> which I fixed by booting from a live cd and ran grub to reinitialize it....
>
> Is this new for vista?

Hi,

I agree, Windows has never done anything to another OS I had
on my system.  I don't really care if it is a new "feature"
in Vista, I don't see myself using it any time soon.  I
have to admit, it would be very silly if it did.

If you don't have space on the system for Windows you will
have to remove partitions that is already there before you
can continue with the install.  I wouldn't consider that
scanning for competitors operating systems and refusing to
continue, that's just common sense.

If you install Linux first it just means you will have to
reinstall your bootloader, grub in most cases.

David