XP/Ubuntu dual-boot

jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 22:38:44 UTC 2007

> I'm thinking of installing XP and Ubuntu as a dual-boot on my daughter's
> machine.

(snip)

> 2. Is it best to install XP or Ubuntu first.

Microsoft designs their operating system installation software to check
for operating systems from competitors, and will refuse to proceed with
the installtion process until you authorize it to erase the competitor's
operating system.

Furthermore, the Windows operating system, or the Windows installation
software (I am not sure which) will mutilate OS/2 HPFS (High Performance
File System) so that OS/2 cannot read the data.

Microsoft is intensely competitive.

> Chris
> --

J. E. McIntosh