XP/Ubuntu dual-boot

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 21:30:45 UTC 2007

--- Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 10:41:48AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> > I'm thinking of installing XP and Ubuntu as a dual-boot on my
> daughter's
> > machine. Her birthday is less than two weeks away. I want to be
> able to
> > have her iPod work for her. I hope Craig and Joe won't take this
> as an
> > invitation to discontinue the iPod/gtkpod installation on my
> fedora 7
> > computer. I'd like to keep on with that. This is just a
> contingency. As
> > repulsive as it is to me, I hear the iPod will magically work
> under XP.
> > It sounds like it has a better chance working under Ubuntu (than
> fedora
> > 7) as well. I've been wanting to try a debian-based system for
> some
> > time. I hear that Ubuntu is a nice safe place for fedora chickens
> like
> > me to start with debian-based OSs.
> >
> > So, just to be clear: I'm not giving up on fedora 7 (it is on my
> > production machine for our business so I can't get rid of it
> lightly),
> > but I want to try an XP/Ubuntu dual-boot on my daughter's
> machine.
> >
> > 1. What is the latest stable version of Ubuntu and what a good
> site to
> > get the iso from?
> > 2. Is it best to install XP or Ubuntu first.
>
> Windows doesn't believe in sharing, and overwrites all other boot
> loaders.  So always install windows first.  Linux installers have
> no
> trouble sharing and recognizing that windows is installed and
> giving you
> a working boot loader for both in the end.

But, don't you think it is better to run Windows on a virtual machine
like qemu or kvm than reboot your machine for a limited application
that you intend to run on Windows? One advantage you can have is that
once you create the virtual machine and activated windows XP you can
make a copy of the virtual machine file to use it in case at some
later time your Windows machine is screwed. That will save you
another installation followed by a long call to MS and some
explanation for another activation.

EK

      Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane with All new Yahoo! Mail: http://mail.yahoo.ca