Multics Sources Available

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 21:28:21 UTC 2007

Interesting news of the day...  Honeywell/Bull have released sources
to Multics, a predecessor system to Unix.

"This is the full source, including the PL/I compiler source, as well
as the .compin source for several Multics manuals."

http://web.mit.edu/multics-history/source/Multics_Internet_Server/Multics_sources.html

I don't imagine anyone will be compiling the sources terribly soon:
- There's an assembler component where the hardware that runs it no
longer exists
- That hardware had some interesting addressing modes (most notably, 9
protection rings)
- There's not ready availability of PL/I compilers on many platforms these days

But it's definitely of considerable historical interest.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)