IRC channel ?

David Payne david-KgjyJOZJJiMsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 13 17:16:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:03:32PM -0500, Brandon Sandrowicz wrote:
> On 11/13/07, David Payne <david-KgjyJOZJJiMsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > It's probably not a good idea to 'squat' on an IRC channel. My
> > > (admittedly limited) understanding of IRC is that the operators will
> > > do a sweep every now and then, and turf out anyone who's sitting on a
> > > channel. However, I also understand that a channel with a double hash
> > > mark is better tolerated by the sysops, so I would recommend we use
> > > ##gtalug instead.
> > >
> > > And if we're well behaved, we might graduate to #gtalug one day.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > You don't need a IRC bot, you can just register a channel.
> > Freenode seems like the perfect server.  Their website:
> >
> > "Freenode provides discussion facilities for the Free and
> > Open Source Software communities, for not-for-profit
> > organizations and for related communities and
> > organizations." http://freenode.net/
> >
> > We fit that very well.  I don't see why they would have a
> > problem with us registering a channel with a single #.  From
> > experence anything with a ## doesn't exactly fit the above
> > discription, like ##MacOSX and ##Windows.
> >
> > David
> > --
> > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
> >

> I don't know I've seen the #perl/#python/etc channels bounce between #
> and ##, but I'm an inconsistent IRC user, so YMMV.

Freenode says:

*START QUOTE*
Primary Channels

Primary channel names, formatted with a single leading hash
mark (#), are reserved for participating groups and
organizations based on their legal or informal claim to the
associated name or name prefix. For example, Peer-Directed
Projects Center, the organization which runs the network,
has reserved the name freenode and has been granted control
over channel #freenode, as well as any channel beginning
with #freenode-.

Name claims can be appealed, at which point network staff
will look for an appropriate resolution to the conflict. We
may suggest informal solutions to promote compromise by the
parties involved; but in the absence of such solutions,
we'll give priority to groups in the following categories,
listed in order from highest to lowest priority. Within each
category, we'll give priority to the group with the longest
documented use of the name.

   1. Non-govermental organizations, standards
organizations, government entities, formal news
organizations, corporations, businesses and individuals with
legally valid claims.
   2. Informal FOSS community projects and other projects
producing broadly-licensed output.
   3. Web media projects, geographically-based interest
groups, FOSS support groups and informal education/reference
groups.
*END QUOTE*

http://freenode.net/policy.shtml#primarychannels

I think that's why a channel like #perl may be bumped to
##perl if the operators are not the same people that operate
the Perl project.  In that sense it is more of a
Policies "Topical or Reference Channels" -
http://freenode.net/policy.shtml#topicalchannels

Because tlug would be a geographically-based interest
group/FOSS support group and freenode gives priority to
groups like tlug I think we would be able to use a single #
in the name.

David