Help debugging kernel BUG

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 12 19:29:13 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:07 PM, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What type of hardware is in the system?

It's a Dell Precision M90 laptop.  The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo
T7200 at 2GHz (family 6, model 15, stepping 6).  I have 2 GB of RAM, a
"NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express" network card, an
Intel "PRO/Wireless 3945ABG", and an nVidia "G71 [Quadro FX 2500M]"
video card (but the error presents itself even without the binary blob
loaded).  Most of the onboard components are by Intel, and the main
chipset seems to be in the ICH7 Family.  I'm not sure exactly what
kind of harddrive I have, but it's a SATA drive at 7200 RPM, and dmesg
leads me to believe it's made by Hitachi: "ata1.00: ATA-7: Hitachi
HTS721080G9SA00, MC4OC10H, max UDMA/100".  I also have a DVD+/-RW
drive made by NEC: "ata2.00: ATAPI: _NEC DVD+/-RW ND-6650A, 102C, max
UDMA/33".

> What is it doing?

Booting.  It's hard to know exactly what it's doing because the error
messages fly by so quickly, but I think the first error is reported
right after the init scripts launch udevd.  The machine gets to the
point where it tells me what version of init is starting without
error.  The first few init scripts start without error and then they
start flying.  As I mentioned earlier, I think it's some kind of
interaction with iptables because removing those modules from the
.config fixed things--I don't see the errors anymore.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com