ubuntu display problem

Terrence Enger tenger-ew0EfhANLmVEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 11 18:35:40 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I am trying to use ubuntu gutsy (7.10), first from a live cd
and then from a USB stick.

Sometimes from the cd and both times I have tried to boot
from the stick, instead of the desktop I see pointilistic
abstract wallpaper: random coloured dots mostly in repeating
cells maybe 20 pixels on a side.  I am booting with the
default video parameters (VGA); once I tried a higher screen
resolution, and it made the dots smaller.  Sigh.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Terry.