iPod Nano

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 10 14:21:58 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > Now you need libid3tag-devel.
> >
> Okay, I /think/ that went okay. After installing libidtag3-devel, I ran
> ./autogen.sh, then prompted to run 'make', so I did. Then I was promted
> to run 'make install', but I ran ./configure --prefix=/usr instead (as
> per your instructions). Then I ran 'make install' even thought it didn't
> ask me to this time.
>
> Now, I gotta figure out if gtkpod is okay now or if I just don't know
> how to use it. Was I suppose to reinstall gtkpod or anything now that
> (hopefully) all the libraries are there? Anyway, gtkpod asked me for a
> mount point and I told it /media/IPOD (which is how the iPod
> automounts), and I tried to load two mp3's onto it (again they are not
> showing up on the iPOd menu), then I tried loading an .ogg onto it and
> it goes through some conversion (to .mp3?) and I got this error:
>
> Transfer of 'Both Sides Now' failed. Error opening
> '/media/IPOD/iPod_Control/Music/F03/gtkpod718786.mp3' for writing
> (Permission denied).

You've got gtkpod installed in /usr/local probably, but that should be okay.
There's still one more step before libgpod and gtkpod can talk to your iPod,
though. If I remember correctly, what Apple has done is actually make it more
difficult to discover the 'firewire id' of the device.

Here I should apologize. I wasn't following my own instructions. When you built
libgpod, you were supposed to make sure you had libgsutils installed so that it
would build a tool you need. The full info on this is in the README.sysinfo
file in the libgpod svn directory.

So, install libgsutils, then rebuild libgpod. To rebuild libgpod it's pretty
simple, just go to your libgpod directory, su to root and do 'make uninstall'.
Now as a regular user do './autogen.sh', './configure --prefix=/usr', and
'make'. Then again as root do 'make install'.

Now with the new libgpod you should be able to run (as root)

ipod-read-sysinfo-extended /dev/sdx /media/IPOD

where 'sdx' is the path to your ipod, probably sda or sdb.

Now open up gtkpod and you should be all good :-)

--
JoeHill