Help debugging kernel BUG

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 9 23:31:24 UTC 2007

| From: Ian Petersen <ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Here's the output in dmesg (I've typed this by hand, so I hope there
| are no typos):
|
| kernel BUG at net/core/skbuff,c:95!
                               ^
I think that you have a typo in the first line (should be a ".").

skbuffs are the currency of networking inside the kernel.  Very
tricky.  Everything has fingerprints on skbuffs.  And the structure
changes fairly frequently between releases.

| skb_over_panic: text:f883cb9d len:235 put:235 head:f747d000
| tail:0xf747d000 end:0xf747d100 dev:<NULL>

skb_over_panic is a function that is only called to print this
message.  It's desciption says: "Out of line support code for
skb_put(). Not user callable."

If you look in include/linux/skbuff.h, you will see an inline function
skb_put that calls skb_over_panic.  The description of skb_put says:
 *      This function extends the used data area of the buffer. If this would
 *      exceed the total buffer size the kernel will panic. A pointer to the
 *      first byte of the extra data is returned.

I'll stop digging here.