re-thinking LUGs and early planning for the first Canadian LUG summit

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 8 19:12:13 UTC 2007

On November 7, 2007 07:58:28 pm David J Patrick wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:41:01PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 02:04:45PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> > > PING !
> > >
> > > did this actually get out to the list ?
> >
> > I honestly don't know why people think someone in vancouver cares
> > what a LUG in toronto is doing.  For the most part they are only
> > interesting to the people in the local area.
>
> Well, in my experience, linux enthusiasts are a varied bunch. Some
> just wanna keep their own systems running, and some like to help
> folks out, and some want to see broader adoption and see it as a
> global thing. Personally, I feel it's important to do what we can to
> try and get our governments to recognize and address issues like
> net-neutrality, the use of open standards, and real cost savings that
> could come from wider linux deployments. If we just sit on our hands,
> those decisions will simply be made by the loudest (and richest)
> lobbiasts. There are coMpanieS that would love to see a hard vendor
> lock-in at federal, provincial and municipal levels, and some
> pre-emptive actions would be prudent.
>
> > So in other words I think any such effort is a complete waste of
> > time and energy.  Perhaps I am not alone which could explain the
> > lack of comments (it did make it through just fine, I remember
> > reading it).
>
> You could be right Lennart, and thanks for getting the discussion
> ball rolling.
>
> anyone else love or hate the idea ?

Could be wrong too. I personally like to know about other LUGs and their
interests. I'd be very interested in let's say, a podcast or video of a
Linux luminary speaking at a local, or remote LUG.

A LUG, existing in some form online, should not (IMO) be confined by an
arbitrarily imposed geographical boundary, e.g. the online space a LUG
occupies need not be related to its physical one. That is, in my mind,
a clear advantage to an online presence.

Moreover, the issues facing LUGs, while perhaps specific to a particular
locale, are likely also broadly similar, so knowing how a LUG in
Vancouver or Beijing is responding to declining membership, or a
political issue, is a useful thing.

That LKML is a LUG of sorts, one for developers, and it functions
effectively regardless of space. The information there is relevant to
hackers and newbies alike. So why should other LUG mailing lists and
their meetings be irrelevant?

Jamon