re-thinking LUGs and early planning for the first Canadian LUG summit

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 8 15:38:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 07:58:28PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> Well, in my experience, linux enthusiasts are a varied bunch. Some just
> wanna keep their own systems running, and some like to help folks out, and
> some want to see broader adoption and see it as a global thing.
> Personally, I feel it's important to do what we can to try and get our
> governments to recognize and address issues like net-neutrality, the use of
> open standards, and real cost savings that could come from wider linux
> deployments. If we just sit on our hands, those decisions will simply be
> made by the loudest (and richest) lobbiasts. There are coMpanieS that would
> love to see a hard vendor lock-in at federal, provincial and municipal
> levels, and some pre-emptive actions would be prudent.

Well cost savings perhaps, or at least less money moving to microsoft's
pockets.  I would certainly rather see money spent on local people
providing service in customizing open source software, than see people
just throw more money into microsoft's pockets (where microsoft is
defined as all the large multinational closed source software companies
that don't give a damn about anything but their share holders profits).

> You could be right Lennart, and thanks for getting the discussion ball
> rolling.

I kept quiet before because I didn't see any point being negative, but
if you go pinging people then you deserve what you get right? :)

--
Len Sorensen