Two weird behaviours in X...

Wed Nov 7 13:36:06 UTC 2007

I recently installed Debian on a new desktop.  I upgraded to "testing"
and installed all of the packages that I'm used to using.  During the
installation, I chose "desktop" system, which by default installs Gnome.
I don't use Gnome.

I use "update-rc.d -f gdm remove" to get rid of the graphical login, and
set up my .xinitrc to use Openbox.  All seems fine, but I notice that
the cursor is the Gnome cursor.  I don't especially care, and things
seem fine.

Then, for reasons I don't understand xscreensaver doesn't recognize my
password.  It did a few hours ago, but not now.  Okay,
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, test my password (works fine) and restart X.  X
starts fine, but the cursor doesn't.  If I right-click, I get the
Openbox menu, but the cursor doesn't appear.  I find no combination of
commands that lets the cursor come back.  It only returns after a reboot
(insert deep chagrin).  Does anyone know what's going on?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William