mount /mnt/ipod

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 6 17:26:26 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> When I plug in the nano to the computer it automatically mounts on
> /media/IPOD
>
> I guess the device is /dev/sdd1 - at least that is what amarok thinks it
> is.
>
> The device is not unmounting consistently from amarok. I hit
> 'Disconnect' then quit amarok (like the handbook advises) and the IPOD
> icon (of the mounted ipod) disappears from the Desktop. The problem is
> that when I try to unplug the USB cable fromt he iPod it is stuck. I'm
> assuming the teeth are stuck in the port to avoid a sloppy disconnect.
> So, I try umount /dev/sdd1 or umount /media/IPOD and I am informed it is
> already unmounted. Catch-22.
>
> It seems I have to do something different each time to get the iPod to
> finally loosen its grip on the USB cable.

This should not be an issue. On mine anyway, there are two buttons on the USB
cable where it connects to the iPod. Push in those buttons and it releases the
connection.

As long as you do not disconnect the device during a sync, you're fine. The
whole 'eject' thing seems to only apply to iTunes.

> The amarok handbook suggests that the iPod be mounted on /mnt/ipod

Amarok should not be telling you where to mount your device. I've certainly
never had a problem with gtkpod using the default. I wouldn't bother with this,
as long as you can communicate with the iPod, that's what counts, no?

> Will that make a difference. If so, how do I mount /dev/sdd1 on /mnt/ipod?
>
> Obviously the iPod is not mounted via fstab:
>
> [chris at p733 libgpod]$ cat /etc/fstab
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>
> I triedto mount it but I guess I don't have the correct file system:
>
> [root at p733 libgpod]# mount -t dosfs_t /dev/sdd1 /mnt/ipod
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'dosfs_t'
> [root at p733 libgpod]#
>
> Here's an example of the problem I'm having:
> I just unmounted the iPod but now I can't mount it:
>
> [root at p733 libgpod]# mount /dev/sdd1 /media/IPOD
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Do I take all this to mean you got libgpod and gtkpod installed? :-)

--
JoeHill