iPod Nano

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 6 06:34:36 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > This is the way I did it:
> >
> > 0. Install libmp4v2-devel so that gtkpod is build with support for...well,
> > mp4.
> [root at p733 chris]# yum install libmp4v2-devel
> <snip>
> Transaction Test Succeeded
> Running Transaction
>   Installing: libmp4v2-devel               ######################### [1/1]
>
> Installed: libmp4v2-devel.i386 0:1.5.0.1-3.fc7
> Complete!

Cool. As long as you can grab the basic devel packages, you'll be fine.

> > 1. Grab libgpod svn:
> >
> > svn co https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/libgpod/trunk
> > libgpod
> Okay - I ran that command.
> [root at p733 chris]# svn co
> https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/libgpod/trunk libgpod
> A    libgpod/m4/swig.m4
> A    libgpod/m4/Makefile.am
>  U   libgpod/m4
> A    libgpod/libgpod-1.0.pc.in
> A    libgpod/AUTHORS
> A    libgpod/README.SysInfo
>
> <big snip>
>
> A    libgpod/po/POTFILES.in
> A    libgpod/po/POTFILES.skip
> A    libgpod/po/ro.po
>  U   libgpod
> Checked out revision 1758.
>
> > *Important* read the README.sysinfo file and follow the instructions.
> >
> > ...then build and install the usual way*
> I don't have a "usual way"  - I'm brave but uninformed.

The asterisk led to the instrucions ;)

> > (I used ./configure --prefix=/usr)
> >
> Well, the brave part of me would just cd into the lipgpod directory
> (that was created in my home directory) and run

As long as you don't run anything in there as root, you can do no harm. The
only thing you will run as root is the 'make install'. If by some quirk that
were to cause a problem or just not work, you can then just do 'make
uninstall' and any files installed will be...uninstalled.

So, it's like this:

1. ./autogen.sh

2. ./configure --prefix=/usr

3. make