iPod Video -- Success!

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 5 14:51:49 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> Sorry, Joe, I /do/ have your post. This is about video not audio. Do you
> think this will solve my .mp3/.ogg upload trouble as well?

This will enable you to communicate with the iPod with gtkpod and libgpod, the
basis for any other app to do the same, ie. Amarok. The thing is, if you have a
new iPod (I believe known as 5th generation), anything less than gtkpod/libgpod
in current svn will not work. I'm a bit behind, so I did not see if you
resolved your trouble with Yum, but if you have everything installed at this
point, and you're still having trouble transferring anything to the iPod, the
reason is Apple's new encryption scheme for the iPod's system files. Current
gtkpod and libgpod will handle this, and I must say they are doing it very well.

> By the way, can iPods even play .ogg or do I have to convert all my .ogg's
> to .mp3's via Audacity first? The screenshotas for amarok show .ogg files
> which gives me some hope, however I'm finding it won't "transfer" (or /think/
> it transfers) files to the iPod unless I convert them to .mp3's.

I don't have any ogg to test it, but I would be totally _stunned_ if the iPod
did not handle ogg.

--
JoeHill