automating find and replace on bash scrips?

Alex Maynard maynarda-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 4 19:53:04 UTC 2007

Hello All:

I am getting a bit stuck on an (admittedly very simple) bash script to
automate find/replace in bash.

What I'm aiming for is:

File $1: text file on which I want to run multiple find/replaces

File $2: text file with list of what to replace by what

To make it concrete, say I wanted to replace capital by lower case
letters.  Then I might have File $2 look like:
A a
B b
C c
etc.

The part I know how to do is:

sed 's/B/b/' <$1>tmp_sed
cp tmp_sed $1

Adding a loop around this shouldn't be a problem either.

The part I'm stuck on is: On say, the second iteration of the loop,
how do I get bash or sed to obtain "B" and "b" automatically from
the second line of file $2.

If anyone has any tips or pointers, I'd be grateful.

Alex